It is easy to feel powerless in our way to make decision on how to live well with a constant media exposure of stories about fear, war, climate change, industrial food and terrorism – to name few.
Sometimes you want your actions go to the same direction your values are, and if you can’t see that change coming from the place where you live, and you feel you cannot do much to consume better, or do something from your environment – here is, why this is wrong!
Get Involved from easy steps !
I am gonna start by the most fun and simple way to stop buying stuff from giants industrial fashion brands. Everybody know that global fashion industry is environmentally damaging and desperately needs change.
You do not need to buy new clothes, there is a lot of alternative to refresh your wardrobe without buying new clothes.
Guide for fashion lovers :
- Fashion fix : repairing them when they need it. Get creative; make your broken seams, holes and tears into a fashion statement. You can find workshop to learn.
Buying from your local charity shops : I used the red Cross for clothes, even for Home stuff like plates, cups, coffee machine.
- Swapping, swishing, sharing. There is website like Vinted.com where you can swap a lot of stuff even luxury clothes.
- DIY : You can tailor clothes to a different shape, add new embellishments, or dye
it a different colour. In Bali, I made all my clothes with organic cotton and natural dying and they have a new value now, i take extremely care because i made it. Buying a brand, by just entering to a shop without creativity, without knowing who made it, or what it is, create a sense of « I don’t care », and you just consume like a maniac everything, luxury or not.
- Vintage : own unique piece to own a piece of history, like a real 501 Levi’s, the one with the red lining inside, or a old leather jacket. Most towns have a vintage shop.
- Buying from slow fashion designers : Fast fashion and mass produced luxury have distracted us from the beauty and true value of the handmade, from intricate embroidery to a simple, delicate hand weave. Check my jewelry Zen tribe
I decide using less supermarket products, buying only from local farmers, using local products and cutting useless unhealthy stuff I was consuming. So far, i saved money, I eat better quality and I enjoy the fun of going out on a week-end market trip and chatting with conscious buyers too. Also, i grow my own food now, but because time allow me to do so, but there is always a way, even growing aromatic herbs on a balcony.
Guide to buy better food :
- Boycott your supermarket and shop at the local health-food store.
- Buying fresh products when it is in season and freeze it.
- Using super food, raw food, fermented food, probiotics, fresh veggies and COOK yourself.
- Less meat, more beans and whole grains.
- Going to fresh markets, ethnic markets – you can bargain products and find new interesting ingredients.
READING ALTERNATIVE NEWS
No more TV problems news ! If you cannot participate actively in a solution for all the bad things happening outside your country, all you can do then it’s boycotting the news and giving you a break even with social media, it keep your mind focus on your own life and giving less power to the distractions caused by media in general! « At the end, a little war or natural disasters is always good to find something to talk about and keep you absorb about it ».
Independent online magazine are available, with lot of news about innovations for future, solutions, volunteer programs, music festival, green politics, spirituality… Hey that’s why i like hanging on Elephant.
GET INVOLVED WITH A NON-PROFIT
Collaborate with like-minded people and be the change. If you cannot give your time, maybe it is time to donate to a good organizations. Being more aware on how to empower yourself into society if you think that enough is enough. At the moment, I donate my time into gardening with a work away exchange which let me grow my knowledge about plants and meet people with the same values.